Monday, January 27, 2014

The Passing Glance of the Infinite.

When we compare the present life of men on Earth with that time of which we have no knowledge, it seems to me like the swift flight of a single sparrow through a banqueting hall on a winter's day. After a few moments of comfort, he vanishes from sight into the wintry world from which he came. Even so, man appears on Earth for a little while, but of what went before this life or what will follow, we know nothing.

- BedeHistoria Ecclesiastica Gentis Anglorum (Ecclesiastical History of the English People, Book II, Chapter 13)


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This solitary hill has always been dear to me
    And this hedge, which prevents me from seeing most of
    The endless horizon.
    But when I sit and gaze, I imagine, in my thoughts
    Endless spaces beyond the hedge,
    An all encompassing silence and a deeply profound quiet,
    To the point that my heart is almost overwhelmed.
    And when I hear the wind rustling through the trees
    I compare its voice to the infinite silence.
    And eternity occurs to me, and all the ages past,
    And the present time, and its sound.
    Amidst this immensity my thought drowns:
    And to founder in this sea is sweet to me.

    L'infinito

    Sempre caro mi fu quest'ermo colle
    E questa siepe che da tanta parte
    De'l ultimo orrizonte il guarde esclude.
    Ma sedendo e mirando interminati
    Spazi di la da quella, e sovrumani
    Silenzi, e profondissima quiete,
    Io nel pensier mi fingo, ove per poco
    Il cor non si spaura. E come il vento
    Odo stormir tra queste piante, io quello
    Infinito silenzio a questa voce
    Vo comparando; e mi sovvien l'eterno,
    E le morte stagioni, e la presente
    E viva, e'l suon di lei. Cosi tra questa
    Immensita s'annega il pensier mio:
    E'l naufragar m'e dolce in questo mare.

    ReplyDelete